Monday 23 April 2018

SDRT AGM and a prize

I was a special guest at the Somerset and Dorset Railway Trust AGM on Saturday. Held in Edington village hall, the meeting was pretty much not far from the railway itself. I was born in Templecombe, probably to the sound of steam engines clanking in the lower yard, but my earliest memory is being sat in my father's car at Evercreech Junction crossing gates as a steam train rumbled past. Railways have been in my blood ever since....

The SDRT are based at Washford and have made great progress over many years. Track has been laid, engine shed built, signalbox and museum established and there is more to come. A lottery bid could see more developments. The main reason for me being at the meeting was to sign a new 50 year lease which gives the trust security of tenure for its funding bid.

An annual model railway competition was held and I took along my model of SDJR 4-4-0 No 55 which I scratchbuilt in 7mm scale several years ago. The model was entered in the competition and I won the coveted Mike Palmer trophy. 

A great afternoon, good company and fantastic tea and cake. 


Signing the new lease


My model of SDJR locomotive


The Mike Palmer trophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment