Tuesday 27 February 2018

Taunton Station, then and now.....

Last week I found myself with half an hour to spare waiting at Taunton Station. Tough, some might say, but luckily the sun was shining. Every time I visit a mainline station, I always seem to find myself looking for evidence of its past lives and ownership. Quite obviously, years ago this was much easier as there was still a lot of heritage to be seen. Today it is getting far more difficult as time marches on and older artefacts are swept away. As I wandered around the car park, I noticed a fire hydrant cover marked GWR and soon a water stopcock cover also labelled. Considering these are in the tarmac car park which must have been resurfaced many times, then these are remarkable survivors from at last 80 or so years ago. Sorry, this really is a geeky post, but it interests me.



I then looked up and realised that the most obvious survivor is the station building itself (on the down side). The sun was in the wrong posiiton for a replica photograph, but here are a 'then and now' pair for comparison, 130 years apart...

Spot the differences! Any brownie points to anyone else who spots GWR survivors.....

No comments:

Post a Comment